6.14.2008

Little Ones in June

.

All of the sudden, there are new visitors and little ones everywhere in the back yard.

From this past week:

Tiny baby lizard from the colony of lizards that occupies the garage:

.

New adult and young adult raccoons
(I think the one in the foreground is one of the babies from last year):

.

Sufjan Bob is the sweetest cat in the world.
He sleeps on top of the garage and keeps a lookout.
He sits in my lap while I have my coffee outside in the morning.
He always greets me with chirping and head-butts, follows me everywhere and appears out of nowhere when I call him:

.

And yesterday...Farrah let me pet the tip of her ear, which was completely unreal, and then soon after she led me to a surprise in a wooded area on the side of the house. She has two babies. I had thought she was pregnant, and I was sure she had given birth, but I had unsuccessfully tried to follow her to locate them.

They are in a lot of brush and very shy, so I wasn't able to get a good look or good pictures, but I do know one is a long haired gray and one is a short haired buff/orange tabby:



.

Also this week, an encounter with a baby raccoon, who was the tiniest thing ever:






So, I knew there were more and I have been waiting patiently for the mom to bring them over for dinner. And last night, she did. I took a few clips of them eating and trying unsuccessfully to climb the old Magnolia. They are so entertaining to watch. There are five total and they are mischievous and rambunctious.


Raccoons 6-13-08 from Amy on Vimeo.
.

Next on the agenda is to find a Trap-Neuter-Return program for Farrah and her babies and get Sufjan Bob fixed as well.

I also wish I could relocate myself, my daughter, the cats and the rest of the backyard clan to a nice house in the country with lots of safe acres for them to roam..
..

3 comments:

lsaspacey said...

Oh, Amy, I love your life. It's so sweet how all the animals know they can trust you.

claudia & keith said...

Amy,
you should get in touch with Cat Haven here in Baton Rouge. I'm almost certain they have a catch-neuter-return program.

Cranky Grandma said...

Really, I agree with Isaspacey. How wonderful. The closest thing I get to nature is watching my neighbors' cats on the hunt.

You can tell a lot about a person by how animals react to them.