8.29.2007

Chair Dreams + Trash Finds

.

Last night, I had a chair dream. I suppose this is because I have been obsessing over patio furniture and the three interior chairs I need to get reupholstered. Anyway, the dream involved a Hans Wegner Papa Bear Chair (a new favorite) and an old Chromcraft caned rocking chair that my parents used to have (I think about it from time to time and wish it was still around). Both were on the side of the road....looking perfect from a distance. I rushed to grab them both, but as I got closer I noticed the caning was disintegrating and the Papa Bear Chair was covered in cat urine (clearly, this part is a product of my fear that the new cats will urinate on and ruin all of my furniture).

Leave it to me to have nightmares about chairs.

So, this morning, in order to wipe the nightmare images from my mind, I found myself at one of my favorite sites: 1st Dibs, which is a huge shopping database of antique, mid century, modern, vintage furniture and lighting. The best part about it is that you can search via city, creator, piece of furniture etc.

Some examples which kinda sum up my recent chair obsessions:


.

Watch out, it is easy to get stuck there for quite some time.

Some of my favorite designers that have categories at 1st Dibs are Thonet, Edward Wormely, Paul McCobb, Hans Wegner, Jens Risom, Finn Juhl.
.

Oh, and this week, on the side of the road in front a of a cute little 1930's cottage my daughter and I found 2 discarded hanging shelves! These are sooo nice. They are built super well, and the scalloping looks hand carved. All they need is a little sanding and new coat of paint. One will go in my daughter's room. Not sure where the other will go yet. The kitchen, which has a vintage cottage feel, seems the most appropriate room.




.

It has been a really busy hectic week. I haven't had time to work on any projects inside or outside. Ah, but I look forward to Labor Day weekend to get all the things nagging me to get done...actually done (at least most of the things)...and to get a new update done with new vintage jewelry pieces. So, check back soon...
..

www.day-lab.com
...

No comments: