10.21.2007

Buried Turtle + Minou's Diet

.

Today, I was digging in the front yard and about 3" to 4" down I found a very round clump. To my surprise, it was a beautiful baby Yellowbelly Slider (which may explain the couple of adult sliders I found in the yard/street over summer). Perhaps this is one of the hatchlings. The area was completely covered with an overgrown Lantana until this week, so it would have been a prime place to lay eggs.

I also found a leathery little egg (I think) which i reburied.



I thought it was a fake turtle at first, the color of the eyes and shell were too beautiful and I had recently found a little fake buried frog near this area.










I released him into the lake, but now I think I maybe should have kept him a bit and fattened him up, because he was so tiny and there are a lot of predators out there in the lake.

I am also kind of scared to dig around that bed right now. Maybe there are more and I don't want to accidentally hurt or kill one. Maybe I should try to find them though, because they are a long way from the lake and probably won't be able to find it on their own once they decide to leave the nest.
.

Speaking of fattening up animals. Minou has been put on a diet. She is eating a special food and has already dropped a bit of weight. She is still lazy ol' Minou though, and slept most of the day outside under the trees near the bed I was working on:








.

www.day-lab.com
..

No comments: