3.24.2007

Vintage Bird Themed Jewelry

.....

Yesterday I was thinking about the pieces I have amassed,altered, made for the living room thus far and realized almost everything is bird themed (even the fabric i plan to use for reupholstering some cushions). Then, I also realized that the majority of my plastics/jewelry collection is bird themed...and actually I think I do offer (unknowingly) a lot of bird themed items on day-lab.com too.

Anyway, I pulled out my little box of jewelry I've collected but rarely wear and shot some photos of my favorite bird themed pieces, most mainly in vintage plastics.

Actually, the book I am currently reading was written in 1943 and is an informational/guide book for engineers and designers who deal in plastics (i.e. how to work with it, the different types, all the manufacturers, how it is made, chemical properties etc...it covers everything)...







So, hopefully soon I will be better at identifying certain pieces.


The plastic cuckoo clock pin and the signed Depouse France pin are two favorites. The detail on the Depouse is amazing:




.....

This Moonglow Lucite swan pin was found in town at a little antique store for $2.00. I still haven't been able to identify him:


.....

These screw back earrings look like tortoise shell..and are inlaid with brass eyes and light etching...haven't identified these yet either:


.....

Over the past couple of months I have become enamored with early Thermoset Moonglow Lucite jewelry, and this was my first find:


.....

This is by far an all time favorite design of mine. This pin is a Buch and Deichman (Denmark) piece and I think they were manufactured in the 1980s. When I come across one, if its priced low enough, I pick it up to add to this little collection:




.....

And these last three aren't plastic, but favorites of mine as well.

The enameled copper bird is signed JLS which I have obviously interpreted as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" ...whom I adore:




.....

And this Mother of Pearl Phoenix has really really beautiful carving details:


.....

An embroidered framed bird brooch:


.....

Back to painting. Have a great weekend!

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a rad post. I want those books!

Liv said...

WHERE did you find that mother-of-pearl phoenix? I have a necklace very similar from Urban Outfitters that I just discovered broke this week. I wore it all the time and I'm having a hard time finding a replacement that isn't expensive.