3.25.2009

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

.

On the way home this afternoon I was driving down W. Lakeshore Drive and noticed an Eastern Kingbird on a wire, which was exciting...but then a few feet ahead on the same wire I noticed a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, and I screamed, pulled off the road, and slammed on the brakes (almost causing poor Lo to have a heart attack I am sure). I ran home, grabbed my camera and when I got back he was still there, thankfully.

I watched him fly about catching bugs for a little while.




View Larger











Charley Harper's Scissor-tailed Flycatcher...love this print:


.

3 comments:

Relaxed Cat said...

he is incredible!! how exciting!! I'd never even heard of that bird!

Anonymous said...

wow i love the long tail!! beautiful! and is that a little bug in his mouth.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how incredibly cool! You make me want to take up bird-watching! I work from home and my office window (fourth floor) looks out on two 6-story black walnut trees that are full of life. The best birds are the pair of little woodpeckers, though. We mostly get city birds!